Since this past semester was particularly grueling (to the point where I found myself falling asleep on stacks of notes and accidentally putting the olive oil in the fridge and the carton of eggs in the pantry) and next semester is going to be just as grueling, if not more, my new year's resolution is to treat myself whenever I can - effective immediately. So to get things off on the right path, if you care to follow me and make this your new year's resolution as well, here are some quick and easy (and cheap) ways to make your life a little better, even if only for an hour or two.
- sleep until 11.
- watch a good movie. In the past few days I've seen Big Eyes and Into The Woods in the theater, and The Women, The Thin Man, and Paris When it Sizzles while curled up on the couch. If you haven't seen The Women, then do yourself a favor - watch it all the way through, bask in its glory for ten minutes or so, then watch it again just to pay attention to the AMAZING costumes and complete lack of men.
- wear pajamas around the house, just for kicks. I guess it's a sign that you're becoming a fully functioning adult when your first instinct in the morning is to get dressed. If that's the case, then there's more proof that I am nowhere near being a fully functioning adult.
- buy yourself shoes that Lauren Bacall would have worn.
- wear your super comfy pajamas and Lauren Bacall shoes at the same time, just because you can.
- give yourself a pedicure in light pink (to match the piping on your pajamas).
- make yourself three pieces of french toast and eat them all while wearing your silk pajamas, your new shoes, and while watching an old movie.
If you have followed all of these steps, then you're sure to be feeling a level of fantastic-ness that Tom Haverford and Donna Meagle would be proud of. If not, then rinse and repeat until you get your desired results.