Thursday, July 3, 2014

~ reflections ~

So tomorrow's July 4th.  We've had a heat index of 110.  I've officially run out of tank top/shorts combos.  

It's summer.

And boy, this summer has been a lot different then last year.  Last July I was fresh off a breakup (thank goodness I got out of that one), frustrated with life in general, and packing for a vacation with my mama.  I was excited for the trip but still feeling pretty shitty.

Then something happened. 

The moment we drove out of the neighborhood it was like the luggage in the backseat suddenly didn't contain all the emotional baggage I'd been carrying around with me.  For the first time in a while I was just sitting in the passenger seat, looking out the window, watching the cars rush past.  No negative thoughts.  No second guessing myself.  No worries.


Those negative feelings did creep back during the trip, but I had my little ways of pushing them out of sight.  Isn't that one of the things you have to learn in life?  How to control those things that demand to be heard, seen, and thought?  Before the trip I was pretty terrible at it, but something about the hum of the road and blur of the passing landscape lulled me into a moment of self-reflection that was a long time coming.




I could use another road trip like this one.

xoxo,
Eliza

No comments:

Post a Comment