Monday, December 23, 2013

~ mom and pop ~

It's funny how memories can pop into your head from the littlest things.  I can't eat chocolate without thinking of how much my grandfather loved it.  I think of my grandmother when I wear lipstick or curl my hair.

The sound of crinkling tissue paper reminds me of spending Christmas morning with my grandparents, putting the finishing touches on the tree, eating my grandfather's famous oven toast, playing Bing Crosby and Ella Fitzgerald and slow dancing around the living room.

My mom and I shared lots of memories, stories, and laughs when we unpacked the family ornaments.



Decorating the Christmas tree has been a family tradition for as long as I can remember, but one that has been packed away now that my grandparents are both gone.  It was so nice to unpack both the tradition and the ornaments!  I could hear my grandfather's laugh and smell my grandmother's perfume as soon as I opened the cardboard box.  


I can remember my grandmother patiently teaching me and my sister that we had to carefully unwrap each ornament and how to choose the best place on the tree.  She was so loving and kind in everything she did.


I don't know what happened to the tree that they always used, but this year we decorated a pink one from Target!


Mom and Pop, I hope you love the tree.

xoxo,
Eliza

No comments:

Post a Comment