Tuesday, August 6, 2013

~ the greatest show on earth ~

I've always had this fascination with circuses, despite harboring an intense dislike for clowns (blame the one time a clown followed me around a circus when I was 4 years old).  There's something about the saturated colors, the sounds and smells, various unhealthy (but really, really good) foods that don't taste the same out of that setting, the beautiful costumes, and the interesting people that has always mesmerized me.  But I'm not talking about just any type of circus.  I'm talking about vintage circuses.

After visiting the Ringling Circus Museum in Sarasota earlier this month, my obsession has intensified.  Before I even unpacked, I ransacked my closet looking for anything I could make into a circus costume!  I found an old wedding dress, took it apart, dyed it powder blue, and put it back together again.  It's my dream costume!  I don't think I'll ever take it off.

So here you go.  A photoshoot representing everything that I love about circuses plus some of the photos that will always inspire me to keep life weird and interesting!  Enjoy.



~ the detail on their costumes is beautiful! ~



~ I love the similarities between these two photos, despite the different time periods ~



~ my take on it all ~







~ different kinds of stripes ~







~ a balancing act ~



There you have it, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls!!  I have a feeling my circus obsession is just getting started.

No comments:

Post a Comment